Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Building a Display for my Pet Tags

I'm working on a way to display my pet tags because I think it will help sell the product.  I figured otherwise they are small and will get lose on the shelves.  Hopefully this way retailers will consider placing them on the counter or someplace where they will get noticed.  So...I've been turning the ideas around in my head for about a week and it's finally coming together.  Can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished.

Of course I had to add texture...because, well...I just HAD to!  Figuring out the dog bowl was the most difficult.  Wood that bends?  Not so easy.  After Home Depot snapped a bunch of thin wood trying to find something that would make that tight of a bend, I gave up and went to the pet store.  Chopped some doggy bowls in portions and tried that.  Had the right look, but didn't attache very well and looked kinda "crafty"...which is something I try to avoid.  So after wandering through store after store, I finally decided to try the round tubes that you use for pouring concrete posts.  It's working!

Course I have to modpodge it to get it smooth.

And be patient while it dries (never been my strong suit), then I will paint the entire thing silver (of course) and put black webbing for the collar and finally attach a bunch of the pet tags and jewelry.  Oh, I also need to put something on the back of the display that will hold the post card order forms for personalization and also something "about the artist" so the retailer/staff will be familiar with the fact that these are tags made with art.
Well, not as happy after painting the silver.  It shows all the textural differences.  I'm thinking of getting silica sand to add to the paint and I might end up changing the color to black.

I do like the way it's turning out, if I can solve the textural issues.  I want it to look artistic but not craftey and handmade.  Ugh.  Of course, once I get it figured out, then I get to make one for every retailer that will be selling my product.  Forget painting, no time to create!

No comments:

Post a Comment