Friday, December 30, 2011

Yearly Recap

I've been working on my goals for 2012 and decided a good beginning would be a recap of 2011, goals met and goals missed.  I had 3 goals for my art business in 2011.  The first was to have my product in 10 retail stores and galleries by the end of the year.  The 2nd was to have 3 exhibits of my art in galleries or restaurants.  The 3rd was to start thinking along the lines of an item made from images of my art work (It's All About the Art) that I could eventually have someone else manufacture.  I think art is a hard sell, especially in this economy.  People may love art, but they tend to purchase things that they consider to be more practical.  There is a great quote, which I can't remember, something about how art is even more important in a down economy because it gives people hope.

So how did I do with my goals?  Goal One:  1. Revolution Gallery in Issaquah, carrying a few paintings, limited edition clocks and will begin carrying word art in March,  2. Knack in Portland, pulled work may consider doing product specific to pdx if they remain in business, 3. Sasquatch in Seattle, went out of business, 4. Willowcreek Gifts in Jacksonville, carrying necklace gift sets, magnets and cards, will carry pet tags when they are finished, 5. Gold Dust Cafe in Jacksonville, they went out of business, 6. Art du Jour Gallery in Medford, carrying art and cards,  7. Rogue Gallery in Medford, in holiday shop and just found out they are going to continue to sell my necklace/card gift sets year round, 8. Bluewater Artworks in Poulsbo, carrying my art and gift sets but are not opening now until Jan 7, 9.  Thomas Lee Gallery in Ashland, carrying my necklace gift sets.  So, that's nine but 3 went out of business, so I'm short on my goal, but happy with progress I made this year.

Goal Two: I had two exhibits in restaurants this year.  Issaquah Coffee in Issaquah was my first.  It went well and I sold a few paintings, including one to Firehouse 72, the new LEED Platinum firehouse in Issaquah.  My 2nd was at Organic Natural Cafe in Medford.  I have my work up for 3 months and have been rotating it monthly.  Not sure of exposure, it's hard to calculate, but I haven't sold any paintings  at this venue.

Goal Three: Magnets - I tried 3 different magnets that were manufactured by someone else with my design.  Not a huge seller, so am not sure yet if I will continue working on this idea.  I made one design custom for one of my retailers and they went out of business.  So my lesson was anything custom needs to be paid for in advance.

Another area that I worked hard at but was not included in my goals were festivals.  I did not have a great success with this, although consider the lessons I learned invaluable and am working on festival goals for next year.  The festivals I did in 2011 were:  Renton River Days, Renton Art Walk, Jacksonville Celebrates the Arts, Holiday at the Expo, Heart of Medford Holiday Market, Shoreline, Jacksonville Saturday Market, South Douglas County Festival of the Arts and Gig Harbor Arts Festival.

I also got 2nd place in an international design competition, which got some press and also had a few articles about my art.  I got my website up and running, along with continuing my facebook art page, my blog and twitter.  I also finished my degree (except that 2nd darn internship) and moved to a different state.  I became a member of Art du Jour Gallery, Rogue Gallery, SOArtists and Riddle Art Guild.

I also worked on my tutorials on youtube.  I have 3 at this point and one of them was monetized by youtube after it passed 10,000 views.

I think the biggest thing I did this year, was shoved my "shyness" behind me, told myself I was actually an extrovert ;) and started approaching galleries and retail stores, artists and art groups with a "no fear" attitude.  Good recap of 2011 and now onto 2012.  Time to set some high goals and then....make them happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment